Suspected Adam Mahama killer opens defence

Asabka Alange, the accused person facing trial for the murder of Mr. Adam Mahama, former Upper East Regional Chairman of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), says he ran away to neighbouring Cote d’Ivoire because his life was under threat.

According to Alange, prior to going to Cote d’Ivoire, he was called by one Toffic that he had been to his house twice, but could not find him. The said Toffic then threatened to kill him when he (Toffic) meets him (accused) anywhere.

He further told the General Jurisdiction 11 High Court, presided over by Justice Merley Afua Wood, yesterday that the said Toffic again told him (accused) that he had taken one of his children hostage and would also burn down his house.

Before receiving the alleged threatening messages from Toffic, Asabka told the court that he had been invited by the police in connection with the death of Adams Mahama on May 20, 2015.

Asabka is standing trial with Gregory Afoko (first accused) on conspiracy to commit murder and murder, to which they have both pleaded not guilty.
He told the court that he has known the late Adams Mahama for almost two decades, but only gets to see Gregory Afoko during political party rallies.

The second accused said these while being led in evidence by his counsel, Andrew KudzoVortia.

Here are excerpts of his evidence-in-chief:
Q: Give your name to the court?
A: Asabka Alange.
Q: Where do you live?
A: I was living at Zamsory.
Q: What do you do for a living?

A: I work at the station.
Q: You know why you are in court this afternoon?
A: I was alleged to have committed a crime; that is why I am here.
Q: You are in court for conspiring with Gregory Afoko to pour acid on [the] late Mahama Adams on May 20, 2015 at Bolgatanga; the court would like to hear your side of the story. Can you tell the court how you got to know the deceased, Mahama Adam?

A: I and the deceased were very close.
Q. For how long have you known the deceased?
A: I have known the deceased for more than 20 years.
Q: Take the court through the process of how you got into contact with the first accused in this matter?

A: I got to know him whenever there was party rally, where we get to see each other, but I don’t know where he lived.
Q: Can you tell the court your movements from the morning of May 20, 2015 to the time you departed Lover’s Inn?

A: From the morning, I was at the station working; and usually we played cards; and I went to a place called Worrigeso within Tansore where we usually play cards. I had bought food stuff to send to my wife; then Gregory came that he needed some NPP flags, and he said Baba Ayaa had called him that he needed some flags.

I told Gregory that I had not been to school so it was Baba who was our Secretary and that I cannot read nor write, and that since Baba is the Secretary, he should let me escort him to send the flags to the Secretary. We didn’t use the main street but a different path, which I took the foodstuffs to my wife before and we went on to deliver the flags.

Q: Where were you from 4:00pm on May 20, 2015 till the next day?
A: On the day of the incidence, when we got to Baba Ayaa, he was in the house taking his bath and there was a bar in front of the house, and we went to sit there. I ordered for a bottle of Guinness and it was paid for by Gregory. Baba later joined us and the flags were delivered to him.

Gregory bought Baba a bottle of beer and one Awaha Akilisia, also a party member, also had a drink. I hadn’t completed my bottle of Guinness when Gregory informed us that he was going home to give his father medicines, so I asked him to drop me off, but I carried the rest of my drink. I told the bar tender that I will bring the bottle later.

Q: At what time did you get the lift from Gregory?
A: I can’t remember because I was not wearing a watch, but I remember when we were at the bar there was a TV and we watched the evening news.
Q: Tell the court where you were on May 20, 2015, between 8pm and 12 midnight?

A: He dropped me in front of my house and he left.
Q: Tell the court how you got the information of the death of Mahama Adams.
A: It was in the following morning when I was bathing my two kids, preparing them for school.

After I dropped them at school and was returning, then Baba called me and informed me that whether I heard what had happened to [the] late Mahama, and I said no, and he told me that someone had poured acid on him, so I should come over to his place.

When I got there he told me that it was myself and Gregory who had poured the acid on him (Adams Mahama). So I should be very careful.

Q: You run away to Cote d’Ivoire immediately after the incident; why did you do that? Can you tell the court why you did that?
A: Because I was called by the police to come to the police station… I was at Baba Ayaa’s place when the police called. Not long after, I had a call from one Toffic, and he told me he had been to my house twice and didn’t meet me, so whenever they meet me they will kill me.

He told me on the phone that he had taken away one of my children and would burn down my house. And when he meets me they will kill me like how they did to my friend, Ayibilla Atenga, he was butchered in front of the Ministries.

Q: The police are saying that you, with Gregory, between 1:00 and 11:45 pm on the day of incident, poured acid on the late Adams Mahama at his SSNIT Flat residence at Bolga, and that you planned and poured the acid on him; what do you have to say?

A: It is not true that we planned to do that. He (deceased) was my father, and he has helped me in so many ways. He even helped me in putting up my house. He constructed the NPP office called Parliament where NPP party members sit and play cards. I was with him during the period. There were no issues between us.

I usually worked three days within a week, and spend the rest of my time at the Parliament. I go there at my leisure hours to play cards.

Counsel: This is our defence before the court.
Court: Are you calling any witnesses?
Counsel: No my lady.
Afoko’s lawyer would not also call any witnesses.

Cross-examination by Attorney General
Q: Tell the court what station you are referring to?
A: Bolga to Kumasi-Krofrom Number 3 Lorry Station.
Q: What do you do there?

A: I am the Station Master.
A-G: I will want to seal the accused mouth now because some of the things he said are new to me.
Court upholds A-G prayer and adjourned the case to Monday, February 20, 2023.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here