Man drives car into pedestrians in Italy, injuring eight

0
90
The car was driving at very high speed

A man has driven his car into pedestrians in the northern Italian city of Modena, injuring eight people, four seriously, officials say.

They include a woman who had to have both her legs amputated.

After the car came to a halt against a shop window, the driver emerged holding a knife and injured a passer-by who gave chase, before the suspect was overpowered.

The suspect, 31, has been identified by officials as an Italian national of Moroccan origin. Italy’s Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni described Saturday’s incident as “extremely serious”.

Meloni, who has cancelled her planned visit to Cyprus, and Italian President Sergio Mattarella will visit the injured people later on Sunday.

At a news conference on Saturday evening, the prefect of Modena Fabrizia Triolo said that El Koudri had been referred to a mental health centre in 2022 for “schizoid disorders”, but had then “disappeared without a trace”.

The incident occurred around 16:30 (14:30 GMT), when the speeding car hit the pedestrians in Via Emilia next to the iconic cathedral of Modena, south-east of Milan. The vehicle then veered left before coming to a halt against a shop window.

“We saw the car approaching, it was heading for the kerb,” an eyewitness said.

“It suddenly accelerated – it was going at least 100km/h (62mph).”

“We saw people flying,” the witness told Italian media.

Modena’s Mayor Massimo Mezzetti said it appeared the driver “deliberately drove on to the pavement, hitting several people and crashing into a shop window”.

“He then got out of his car and brandished a knife,” Mezzetti said.

Five women and three men have been injured.

Credit: bbc.com

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here