The Food and Drugs Authority (FDA) has closed the East Legon branch of Marwarko Restaurant over suspected food poisoning.A statement copied to the Ghana News Agency (GNA) on Thursday said the closure was necessitated by complaints from the public and that investigations had started with the relevant agencies.
The FDA assured the public that the issue would be thoroughly investigated, and appropriate actions taken. It said the Authority was ensuring the strict implementation of protocols to prevent any further harm to the public.
Food poisoning also known as food-borne illness, is the result of eating contaminated, spoiled, or toxic food. The most common symptoms of food poisoning include nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, mild fever, diarrhea, and headache. The length of time it takes for symptoms to appear depends on the source of the infection, but it could range from as little as 30 minutes to as long as eight weeks.
Most food poisoning could be traced to one of three major causes: bacteria, parasites, or viruses, which could be found on almost all the food humans consume. However, heat from cooking usually kills pathogens in food before it reaches the consumer’s plate.Foods eaten raw are common sources of food poisoning because they don’t go through the cooking process. Foods that are mostly contaminated include meat, eggs, and dairy products.
Water in some cases may also be contaminated with organisms that cause illness. Occasionally, food would come in contact with the organisms in fecal matter or vomit. This is most likely to occur when an ill person prepares food and do not wash the hands before cooking.