Public transport in two Australian states will be made free to incentivise people not to drive as fuel prices soar due to the war in the Middle East.
Victoria, home to Melbourne, has said it will have free travel throughout April, while Tasmania has said commuters will not need to pay from Monday until the end of June.
However, other state governments have so far declined to follow suit, with New South Wales (in which Sydney is located) indicating it was reserving funds to meet increased demand for public transport.
Australia is among a host of nations that have seen fuel prices increase sharply since the start of the US-Israel war with Iran and the effective closure of the Strait of Hormuz.
Follow updates on the Iran war
The near-total blockade of international shipping in the vital waterway – through which around 20% of the world’s oil and natural gas flows – has led governments around the world to begin implementing measures to conserve fuel.
Australia’s Prime Minister Anthony Albanese sought to reassure motorists on Friday following reports of panic-buying and petrol stations running dry.
Victoria Premier Jacinta Allan announced on Saturday that trains, trams and buses in the state would be free for all from Tuesday in a bid to drive down pressure on petrol pumps.
Meanwhile, the government of Tasmania – an island off the Australian mainland – announced people would be able to take its coaches, buses and ferries without charge for the coming few months.
Credit: bbc.com








