Sudan’s military strongman, Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, has said the army will make way for a civilian government. The pledge follows months of street protests and repeated calls from the international community for a return to a parliamentary administration.
Speaking on Monday, Burhan said the military would no longer participate in national talks facilitated by the United Nations and regional blocs, wanting instead “to make room for political and revolutionary forces and other national factions” to form a civilian government.
His announcement comes months after the October 2021 coup ousted civilians from a transitional administration, sparking widespread international condemnation and aid cuts to the country which has seen only rare interludes of civilian rule.
Burhan’s televised address came as hundreds of anti-coup demonstrators were on their fifth day of sit-in protests. Last Thursday saw the deadliest violence so far this year.
Pro-democracy medics said nine demonstrators lost their lives, bringing to 114 the number killed in the crackdown against anti-coup protesters since October.