A Sudanese court has ruled that internet services cut during a military coup more than two weeks ago must be restored, a lawyer said, as anti-coup protesters continued a civil disobedience campaign.
Al Jazeera’s Hiba Morgan, reporting from the capital Khartoum, said that internet services had still not returned by Tuesday afternoon.
“Those who are relying on internet from their phone data have not been able to access it since the shutdown during the early hours of October 25,” said Morgan.
She added that the Sudanese people consider the blocking of their ability to express themselves freely a serious infringement on their rights.
The day after the coup, army General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan blamed online media for “instigating sedition” but also promised that “the internet services will gradually return”.
“The ruling by Khartoum district court ordered internet services to be resumed immediately,” lawyer Abdelazim Hassan told the AFP news agency.
The case had been brought by a group of lawyers and the Sudanese consumer protection society.