Home Blog Page 946

National Assembly rescinds decision on the 2025 budget over errors

0
National Assembly

The National Assembly has rescinded its decisions on the 2025 budget bill that was passed last week to correct some errors in line items under capital and recurrent.

DAILY POST reports that both the Senate and the House of Representatives passed the bill on Thursday February 13.

However, while the budget size remains at 54.9 trillion naira, the capital expenditure has been reduced by more than 500 billion naira and the recurrent expenditure was increased by same amount.

According to NTA, the bill now puts recurrent expenditure at 13.588 trillion naira while the capital expenditure is 23.439 trillion naira.

The budget had triggered mixed reactions with some persons arguing that it would lead to more inflation.

Credit: dailypost.ng

 

Nigeria’s inflation drops massively to 24.48% after CPI rebase

0

Nigeria’s inflation rate dropped massively to 24.48 percent in January 2024 from 34.80 percent in December last year after the rebased Consumer Price Index.
The Statistician General, Prince Adeyemi Adeniran, disclosed this on Tuesday in Abuja at the launch of the rebased CPI report.

Nigeria’s inflation rose to 34.80 percent in January 2025 compared to 34.80 percent recorded in December last year.
The National Bureau of Statistics disclosed its rebased Consumer Price Index for January released on Monday.

He said the Consumer Price Index (CPI) – which measures the rate of change in prices of goods and commodities – has declined to 24.48 per cent year on year in January.

Adeniran explained that urban inflation stood at 26.09 percent while rural inflation came to 22.15 percent.

Accordingly, the report, food inflation declined to 26.08 percent in January, from 39.84 percent in December 2024.

In a statement on the X account, NBS said, “The National Bureau of Statistics has released the rebased Consumer Price Index (CPI), reflecting an updated price reference period (base year) of 2024 and a weight reference period of 2023.

“Nigeria’s inflation rate for January 2024 stood at 24.48 percent year on year.

“The food inflation rate stood at 26.08 percent; the core inflation rate stood at 22.59 percent; the urban inflation rate stood at 26.09 percent; and the rural inflation rate stood at 22.15 percent “.

This comes as the Central Bank of Nigeria Monetary Policy Committee would hold its first meeting in 2025 on February 19 and 20, 2025.

In November 2024, MPC raised interest to 27.50 percent to bring down inflation.

Credit: dailypost.ng

Small-Scale Miners condemn burning of excavators by Forestry Commission

0
Michael Kwadwo Peprah, NCASMG President

The National Concerned Association of Small-Scale Miners, Ghana (NCASMG), has in no uncertain terms condemned the recent burning of excavators by the Forestry Commission.

It described the practice as illegal, ineffective and harmful to both livelihoods and the national economy.

The Association argues that the government’s continued reliance on this controversial approach has done little to address the root cause of illegal mining, but rather exacerbated economic hardship by destroying valuable mining equipment, resulting in job losses and further destabilising the livelihoods of thousands of small-scale miners.

As a result, the Association has called for a probe into the incident and what it calls a “lazy approach” to combating illegal mining.

The President of the Association, Michael Kwadwo Peprah, in a statement said the burning of excavators is not a sustainable or effective solution, because these machines could have been confiscated and repurposed for land reclamation projects.

The Association stressed that rather than addressing the crisis, the destruction of excavators is worsening Ghana’s economic situation and called on President John Dramani Mahama and his administration to immediately halt the destruction of mining equipment and adopt a more sustainable approach to addressing the issue.

“The livelihoods of thousands of Ghanaians depend on small-scale mining and it is imperative that policies are implemented in a way that supports legal and responsible mining rather than destroying the means of livelihood for many,” the statement concluded.

NCASMG warned that if its concerns are not addressed, it will take further action to defend the rights of small-scale miners.

Mr. Peprah noted that thousands of workers depend on small-scale mining for their survival and the loss of critical equipment threatens their ability to earn a living.

The NCASMG further accused the Bekwai Forestry District Manager, Ernest Adofo, of leading the burning of excavators in the Manso area, while allegedly allowing certain miners to operate before the 2024 general elections.

NCASMG called for an immediate investigation into the Forestry Commission, alleging selective enforcement and political bias in its actions.

The Association urged the government, the Ministry of Lands and Natural Resources, and all relevant authorities to stop the burning of excavators as the destruction of mining equipment does not solve the galamsey crisis, but instead deepens financial losses and unemployment.

It also wants a full audit and investigation into the operations and activities of the Forestry Commission and any officials found to have engaged in corruption or abuse of power should be held accountable.

The association also wants fairness and transparency in the enforcement and that all miners, regardless of political affiliation or connections, must be treated equally under the law and prioritize land reclamation efforts by utilising seized machinery for environmental restoration projects instead of destroying equipment.

The Association stressed that, “If illegal mining is to be tackled effectively, it must be done without favouritism or discrimination,” because many small scale miners and Ghanaian citizens are targeted, even though large-scale mining concessions owned by politically connected individuals and foreign entities remain untouched, despite their environmental impact.

It emphasised that the government cannot continue to protect foreign-owned mining companies whilst destroying the livelihoods of its own people.

Reaffirming its commitment to responsible mining and environmental conservation, NCASMG insists that the government’s approach to fighting Galamsey must be legal, fair and effective.

NPA to automate some fuel stations in support of 24hr economy

0
Mr Godwin Edudzi Tameklo, NPA boss

The Chief Executive of the National Petroleum Authority (NPA), Mr Godwin Edudzi Tameklo, has hinted of plans to explore various aspects of the downstream petroleum value chain, in addition to a comprehensive implementation plan to facilitate the rollout of a 24-hour economy within the industry.

According to him, the initial phase might include the deployment of automated dispensers at selected petroleum retail outlets, as well as the implementation of measures to ensure the continuous operation of bulk storage facilities and depots, among other initiatives.

He said the planned implementation of the 24-hour economy in the downstream petroleum sector was in line with President John Dramani Mahama’s vision of running a 24-hour economy to grow the economy and create more jobs.

Mr Tameklo was delivering a keynote speech at the Downstream Dialogue 2025 organised by the Chamber of Oil Marketing Companies (COMAC) in Accra yesterday.

The two-day dialogue is being held on the theme: “Ghana’s Downstream Oil and Gas Sector: Challenges and Opportunities.”

The platform is for the stakeholders in the petroleum downstream sector to discuss pertinent issues, share insights and develop actionable strategies for the growth and sustainability of the industry.

Topics include: “Downtown Petroleum Sector, Local Content and Participation “, “Navigating the Energy Transition in the Downstream Petroleum Sector: Challenges, Opportunities and the Roadmap to Sustainability” and “Policy Development and Regulatory Reforms.”

Mr. Tameklosaid the NPA envisioned a downstream sector that is innovative, efficient and sustainable.

“Since assuming office, I have emphasised the importance of affordability, quality and reliability in the supply of petroleum products to Ghanaians.

“Our commitment is to ensure fair pricing and strict adherence to industry standards, in alignment with the vision of His Excellency, President John Dramani Mahama, to reset and transform the sector, whilst also rolling out 24-hour economy solutions”, he said.

The NPA Boss called for robust collaboration with industry players, sister government agencies, and international partners to achieve the goals set in the industry.

“We must strive to reaffirm our commitment to excellence, transparency, and innovation. Together, we can overcome challenges and seize opportunities to ensure that Ghana’s petroleum downstream industry remains an efficient and significant contributor to our nation’s prosperity”, he said.

Mr. Tameklo said since the inception of the NPA about twenty years ago, the industry had evolved significantly.

He said a solid foundation had been laid through the establishment of regulatory frameworks for pricing, supply, quality and the development of infrastructure among others.

“Ghana’s petroleum downstream plays a pivotal role in providing assurance for our nation’s energy security while driving economic growth”, he said.

The NPA Chief Executive said while achieving a lot, the impact of some policies had brought about some negative externalities such as illegal imports, credit opacity, distribution inefficiencies and some infrastructure glut amongst many others.

Besides, he said the industry was also evolving to accommodate the global call for climate change mitigation plans as well as the impending risk of stranding of fossil fuel assets.

Mr. Tameklo Esq., therefore, called for a balance between providing energy security (product availability, accessibility and affordability) to Ghanaian consumers as well as ensuring that the industry adapts efficiently to energy transition happenings around the world.

South Korean actress Kim Sae-ron, 24, found dead

0
Kim Sae-ron

Famous South Korean actress, Kim Sae-ron has been found dead in Seoul, police have said.

The 24-year-old was found in her home in the city’s Seongsu-dong district by a friend at around 16:55 (07:55 GMT) on Sunday, February 16.

Officers said no signs of foul play had been found and they were investigating the cause of death.

Kim began her career as a child actor and was seen as one of South Korea’s most promising young actresses.

Born in Seoul in 2000, she rose to prominence with her role in 2009 film A Brand New Life – which saw her appear at the Cannes Film Festival.

She went on to star in South Korea’s highest grossing film of 2010 The Man from Nowhere and 2012 thriller The Neighbour, for which she received award recognition.

Other notable roles include the 2014 film A Girl at My Door and television roles such as Mirror of the Witch in 2016.

The actress largely withdrew from the public eye in 2022 due to a drink driving incident, for which she was fined 20 million won (£11,000) in April 2023.

Kim’s last role was in Netflix’s 2023 Korean drama Bloodhounds. Variety reported that most of her role was edited out due to the driving incident.

Police Declare Nigerian Singer Portable Wanted

0
Habeeb Okikiola popularly known as Portable

Police authorities in Ogun State have declared controversial singer, Habeeb Olalomi, popularly known as Portable, wanted for allegedly leading a violent attack on government officials carrying out their lawful duties.

The declaration was contained in a police gazette issued on Monday night, shared by the spokesperson of the State Police Command, Omolola Odutola, disclosed this in a statement on Monday.

She said assault incident occurred on February 5, 2025, around 10:00 a.m. when three officials from the Ogun State Ministry of Physical Planning and Urban Development, Ota Zonal Office – TPL Onabanjo Abidemi, TPL Raymond Lateef, and TPL Ridwan Oyero Akinlesi – were conducting an enforcement exercise at Oke-Osa, Tigbo Ilu Ota.

During the exercise, the officials encountered an elderly man, later identified as Portable’s father, at Odogwu Bar, a property linked to the singer.

Upon introducing themselves and requesting the building’s approved plan, Portable’s father informed them that his son was unavailable.

“The Ogun State Police Command hereby declares Habeeb Okikiola Olalomi, popularly known as “Portable”, wanted for his involvement in a violent attack on government officials carrying out their lawful duties.

“On February 5, 2025, at approximately 1000hrs, officials from the Ogun State Ministry of Physical Planning and Urban Development, Ota Zonal Office were conducting an enforcement exercise at Oke-Osa, Tigbo Ilu Ota, when they encountered an elderly man, later identified as Portable’s father, at Odogwu Bar in the area. Upon identifying themselves and requesting the approved building plan, the father informed them that his son was unavailable.

Credit: channelstv.com

Kofi Mole is the best rapper in Ghana –Skonti

0
Kofi Mole

Ghanaian producer and artiste Skonti has named Kofi Mole as the best rapper in Ghana, citing his impressive delivery and style.

In an interview on Daybreak Hitz with Doreen Avio, Skonti stated:

“I think Kofi Mole is the best rapper in Ghana. You see, it’s not just about the rap, it’s about delivery and style to me,” he said.

Skonti also spoke about his close relationship with Kwaw Kese, stating that people often mistake him for Kwaw Kese’s younger brother.

“People think I’m his brother, wherever we go, people think I’m his brother. So I take it that I’m his younger brother, and still his younger brother,” he said.

Despite his personal challenges, Skonti has been able to balance his music career and family life, thanks in part to having his own studio.

“I have my own studio, me and Kwaw have our own studio, so it’s much easier,” he added.

He further shared his approach to music production, indicating that he prefers to work with a select few artists rather than producing for many people.

“I realized people get to know your skill, and with time, you fade away. I’ve been there for a very long time,” he said.

Skonti’s music career spans over a decade, and he has worked with several notable artistes, including Rakil and Trigmatic.

Credit: myjoyonline.com

Maame Serwaa breaks down over accusations of killing her mother

0
Maame Serwaa

Child star, Clara Bension, popularly known as Maame Serwaa has revealed the emotional distress she endured following her mother’s death, including false accusations that she was responsible.

According to the Kumawood star, the unfounded rumours pushed her to the brink of even considering suicide.

In an emotional interview on the Okukuseku show with Emelia Brobbey, she revealed that; “It’s not easy. I was very close to her. I remember talking to my mum, and she said she wouldn’t die until she had held her grandchildren in her arms. Everyone who was close to me knew how tight I was with my mother,” she recounted.

Maame Serwaa further said, she “was very hurt when I heard people say I had killed my mother or used her for something. Let’s say I wasn’t who I am today or I was just an ordinary person—would people still say such things about me?” she questioned.

She revealed that the backlash had a severe impact on her mental health, leading her to contemplate suicide on multiple occasions.

“I felt really bad. There were times I would look at myself in the mirror and ask, ‘Am I a bad person?’ I tried to harm myself on so many occasions. I felt that I had lost a part of myself. The people around me even restricted my access to my phone because they didn’t want me to see what was being said about me online,” she disclosed.

She dismissed the rumors that she used her mother for rituals.

Maame Serwaa’s mother, Mrs Rose Amoateng Bensonpassed away on 7 December 2017, following a brief illness. She was laid to rest on Saturday, 20 January 2018, at Atwema Koforidua in the Ashanti Region.

Conductor sorry for calling Italian singers Mafia

0
British conductor has apologised

A British conductor has apologised for likening singers at one of Italy’s leading opera houses to warring Mafia families.

Edward Gardner, who is principal conductor of the London Philharmonic Orchestra, was threatened with a defamation action for his comments about chorus members at the Teatro San Carlo in Naples.

Speaking to the Times last month about a recent appearance at the venue, Gardner said: “The chorus is made up of two rival Mafia families – who after one performance put each other in A&E.”

In a statement issued by the opera house, he said he wanted to “sincerely apologise to the members of the chorus of the San Carlo Opera House”.

Gardner explained: “Shortly before my arrival in Naples I was informed that two members of the chorus had a public fight just outside the theatre resulting in one person being hospitalised. I was very surprised by this.

“However I did not intend to suggest that the choir were members of the Mafia, and I am more than happy to retract that allegation.”

Gardner said he had “deep respect and appreciation for the choir and its members”, and his appearance in Naples last summer was “a meaningful experience that highlighted the talent, dedication, and hard work of this group”.

“I regret that anything I said may have suggested otherwise because I have experienced firsthand the professionalism and excellence of this choir and I want to make it clear how much I value and respect everyone involved,” he continued.

His original comments angered the mayor of Naples, who said they were “very serious allegations that are completely unfounded”.

Credit: bbc.com

Argentina’s President Milei denies crypto fraud allegations

0
Argentine President Javier Milei

Argentine President Javier Milei has denied promoting a newly launched cryptocurrency which collapsed shortly after he mentioned it in a social media post on Friday.

The cryptocoin $Libra quickly rose in value before nosediving, causing severe losses for the majority of people who had invested in it.

A judge will now determine if the president should face fraud charges over the incident.

On Monday, Milei said he had acted “in good faith” and dismissed investors’ complaints, comparing their actions to people who gamble: “If you go to a casino and lose money, what’s there to complain about when you knew the risks?”

President Milei spoke about the $Libra incident in an interview with Argentine TV channel Todo Noticias on Monday, after a weekend during which he had stayed unusually quiet on social media.

He insisted that his post on X, which contained a link to a site selling $Libra, did not constitute an endorsement.

“I didn’t promote it, I merely shared it,” he told Todo Noticias’ Jonny Viale.

Milei’s post, which he deleted after just a few hours, drew heavy criticism not just from his political rivals in Argentina but also from those who had invested in the cryptocurrency.

Credit: bbc.com

The Ghanaian Chronicle