Home Blog Page 1330

2023 Polls: Probe Cases Of Electoral Violence Against Govs, Court Orders INEC

0
Court

The Federal High Court in Abuja has ordered the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to probe cases of electoral violence against Nigerian governors and their deputies during the 2023 general elections.

Delivering judgment in the suit filed by the Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP), Justice Obiora Atuegwu Egwuatu also ordered the electoral body to “identify suspected perpetrators and their sponsors and ensure their effective prosecution.”

This was contained in a statement on Sunday by SERAP’s Deputy Director, Kolawole Oluwadare.

“The appointment of independent counsel to investigate cases of electoral violence and other electoral offences against state governors and their deputies during the 2023 general elections,” the court held.

Apart from electoral violence, the court wants INEC to investigate bribery, vote-buying, and conspiracy that were believed to have taken place last year.

Justice Egwuatu also ordered INEC “to swiftly prosecute all arrested offenders in the 2023 general elections in the custody of the Nigeria Police Force, Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission and other law enforcement agencies.”

“I have compassionately evaluated the depositions in the affidavit of SERAP and I have no reason not to believe the depositions more so when there is documentary evidence in support of the depositions,” Justice Egwuatu said.

“In the circumstances, therefore, I find merit in the application. The sole issue of whether this Court ought to grant the relief of judicial review and orders of mandamus is resolved in favour of SERAP. Accordingly, I grant the prayers sought.

Justice Egwuatu’s judgment, dated 18 July 2024, read in part: “Being citizens of this great country, SERAP and its members have the legal interest whose enjoyment or enforcement directly or substantially depends on the performance of public duty by INEC.

Credit: channelstv.com

58 More Trafficked Nigerians Rescued In Ghana –NIDCOM

0
Mrs Abike Dabiri-Erewa

Another group of 58 Nigerian women and children have been rescued from human traffickers in Ghana, the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NiDCOM) has said. The Chairman of Nigerians In Diaspora Organisation (NIDO) Board of Trustees in Ghana, disclosed this to the NiDCOM boss, Hon. Abike Dabiri-Erewa, when she stopped by to visit the trafficked victims at their location in Accra.

The latest rescue comes a month after the Nigerian government rescued at least 10 Nigerian teenage girls, ages between 15 and 16, from human trafficking and prostitution.

This was contained in a statement on Saturday by NiDCOM’s Head of Media and Public Relations, Abdur-Rahman Balogun.

According to the statement, the rescued victims comprised 47 Nigerians of Kano State origin, five from Katsina State, two from Jigawa State and four from Kaduna State.

The latest figures bring the total number of rescued Nigerians in Accra in the last three months to 105, Balogun noted.

“A total number of 58 new set of Nigerian women and children were rescued from Human Traffickers in Ghana thus bringing the total number of rescued Nigerians in Accra in the last three months to 105,” the statement read.

“Chief Callistus Elozieuwa, Chairman, NIDCOM Board of Trustees in Ghana disclosed this to the NIDCOM Chairman/CEO, Hon. Abike Dabiri-Erewa, when she stopped by to visit the trafficked victims at their location in Accra.

“The rescued women and children are on their way back to Nigeria where they will be properly profiled and counselled by NAPTIP, reunited with their families and rehabilitated by their various state governments.”

He stated the earlier rescued girls had been repatriated to the country.

The victims were said to have been lured to Ghana with promises of a better life but were instead forced into prostitution.

Credit: channelstv.com

Anti-govt protest: Pat Utomi replies presidency on allegations of being organiser

0
Pat Utomi

A Nigerian political economist, Pat Utomi, has reacted to a comment by the presidency alleging that he was one of the organizers of the planned August nationwide protest.

DAILY POST recalls that Bayo Onanuga, a senior spokesperson to President Bola Tinubu on Saturday accused supporters of the Labour Party presidential candidate in the last election, Peter Obi, of organizing the End Bad Government protest scheduled for August 1st to 10th.

According to Bayo, some X users, including one “FS Yusuf, another rabid Obi supporter, and Professor Pat Utomi, a Labour Party chieftain and a guy on X who goes by the pseudonym Peter Obi’s First Son” are behind the planned protest.

Reacting, Utomi in a post on his official X microblogging handle, said he has nothing against the planned nationwide demonstration.

He said, “Let it be clear that I have nothing against protests. It is a legitimate instrument of democracy for raising the voice of citizens.

“I have participated in many in my time. From my undergraduate days at UNN to marching with concerned professionals following the June 12 election annulment.

He noted that, though he did not know the organizers of the 2020 EndSARS protests, “I supported it”.

“So if I were part of whatever is being planned for August, I would wear it as a badge of honor and not wait to be called out by Bayo Onanuga.”

Credit: dailypost.ng

Senators don’t earn enough contrary to views – Orji Uzor Kalu

0
Senator Orji Uzor Kalu

The Chairman, Senate Committee on Privatisation, Senator Orji Uzor Kalu has backed calls for part-time legislature at both federal and state levels.

Senator Kalu, who represents APC from the Abia North senatorial district said this would help the nation cut costs and enhance the citizenry’s trust in the polity.

The former Abia Governor said this during an interview over the weekend.

On calls for a part-time legislature, Senator Kalu said, “I think it will be a very good idea if my colleagues and other members of the Houses of Assembly will agree that we can sit for three months and do constitutional amendment first.

“So we can sit four times a year and if there’s any emergency, there will be emergency sitting. We can come to do a presidential bid on that basis and go back instead of sitting on a full-time basis.

“Not only the Senate and the House of Representatives but all the legislative houses in Nigeria will be part-time.”

Senator Kalu maintained that this would be part of austerity measures to reduce the cost of governance, arguing that regional government is another viable alternative.

“If we’re going for a regional government, it also means that the ministers, the legislators, will be the same. I’ve been tinkering with the idea of how we can save money to run Nigeria because the country needs money.

“I will encourage the President, the National Assembly to make these kinds of laws. This will help him, and this will help the system, and this will help everybody,” he said.

The ex-governor explained that contrary to misconceptions among Nigerians, senators are not paid enough.

“But I want Nigerians and my colleagues to do a quick constitutional amendment so we can go and be a part-time sitting Senate and part-time sitting House of Representatives and other 36 state houses of assembly in Nigeria.

“That will bring trust and bring relief to the Nigerian people,” the ex-governor said.

Credit: dailypost.ng

Ashaiman residents support NPA’s CRM

0
NPA officials educating the public

Residents of Ashaiman have expressed their desire to adopt the Cylinder Recirculation Model (CRM), a policy promoting safe use of liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) in the country.

This follows a four-day National LPG awareness and sensitisation campaign, which was climaxed with a durbar in the area.

The exercise is a collaboration between the Oil Sustainability Program (OSP), an initiative of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Ministry of Energy, the National Petroleum Authority (NPA), and Digicraft Advertising/Brand Management. It included market activations, community durbars, and town-hall meetings.

The campaign began with market activations in Ashaiman and Tema, Madina, Nima and Achimota, educating vendors and residents about the CRM.

A community durbar was held at the Tema Newtown Main Lorry Station, where attendees were urged to support the initiative.

Mr. Johnson Gbagbo, a supervisor at the Gas Directorate of NPA, stressed that the Authority was engaging the Ministry of Finance to remove some LPG taxes on LPG to make it more affordable and accessible to consumers.

“The prices of gas may be expensive, but calculate the amount of charcoal a day. It is at a higher cost, to purchase gas would be healthier, efficient and more convenient,” he stressed.

Speaking at the town hall durbar held at the Assemblies of God Church, Central Assembly, in Ashaiman, the Member of Parliament for Ashaiman Constituency, Mr. Ernest Henry Norgbey, expressed happiness about the campaign, particularly in relation to women’s education.

“I am happy that the NPA is here to create awareness, especially for our women and to educate us about the use of gas,” he said.

The legislator highlighted the importance of safe use of LPG, citing recent fire incidents in specific electoral areas in Ashaiman that resulted in injuries and loss of property. He urged the NPA to make the initiative an annual programme, rather than a one-time project.

“This programme is very important and should not be a nine-day wonder. NPA should continually educate Ghanaians.

“As the MP for Ashaiman, my concern is for my constituents. It should be an annual event. I encourage all of you here today to take the education and training seriously for the safety of your entire household,” he urged.

The New Patriotic Party (NPP) Chairman for Ashaiman Constituency, Mr. Narh-Gbeeku Alexander Amanor, who chaired the occasion, touched on the importance of collective support for the initiative. “Let us unite in embracing this programme, as its benefits will be felt by all of us”, he stressed

A representative of Digicraft Advertising/Brand Management, Prince Opoku stressed the need for the people to be wary of the health risks of using charcoal and firewood.

“Research shows that smoke from firewood and charcoal can cause lung issues and respiratory problems. We encourage you to switch to gas for a healthier alternative, in support of the NPA’s new policy. This policy promotes a healthier lifestyle, and it’s crucial to embrace it to protect your health” he urged.

Mrs. Euince Budu Nyarko, Head of Consumer Services at NPA said the programme was aimed at achieving the objective of removing barriers to energy access in developing markets, accelerating technology developments and reducing environmental impact of conventional energy sources, among others.

She explained that the collaboration was centered on end-user sensitisation campaign to promote LPG adoption and behavioral change, knowledge transfer and training towards the deployment of technology across the CRM value chain for efficiency and accountability.

It is also meant to ensure collaboration with cylinder manufacturing companies to ensure availability of LPG cylinders and identify opportunities for investment in the LPG distribution infrastructure.

“The OSP’s recognition of partnership is crucial to the successful rollout of the CRM, targeting sustainable energy, access and reduced environmental impact” she added.

Nikita Amadi introduces fans to explosive new single ‘Omalicha’

0
Nikita Amadi

Following the success of her 2023 hit single “All Night”, American rising RnB/Soul artist Nikita Amadi is thrilled to return with yet another beautiful masterpiece, “Omalicha”.

Omalicha showcases Amadi’s soulful vocals and captivating lyrics, embodying the essence of love and beauty.

 

Written and composed by Nikita Chika Amadi herself, the track is a testament to her talent as both a lyricist and a musician.

Produced by Brizy Beatz, “Omalicha” is set to captivate audiences with its smooth melodies and infectious rhythms.

With its blend of contemporary RnB and soulful vibes, the single promises to resonate with fans of the genre and beyond.

With “Omalicha,” Nikita Amadi continues to establish herself as a force to be reckoned with in the music industry.

Her unique sound and heartfelt performances have garnered praise from audiences and critics alike, and “Omalicha” is poised to further solidify her place as a rising star.

Credit: pulse.com.gh

My mother’s daily struggles inspired my success –Rema

0
Rema

Afrobeats sensation, Rema, has revealed that poverty and his mother’s struggles drove him to pursue a music career.

In an interview with Capital Xtra London, Rema shared how his mother’s daily struggles, including the inability to afford transportation, motivated him to succeed.

Determined to improve their situation, Rema said he worked hard to succeed, saying that as soon as he made money, he prioritized buying a car for his mother.

He said: “I was tired of my mum trekking every day; she didn’t even have money to transport a bus or bike. So I had to take it to the next level ASAP.

“The moment I made money, I got her a car ASAP. We went for dinner, then I gave her that car. A lot of boys would go for their cars first but I was still trekking, but I had to get a car for my mum first.”

Rema credits his mother’s prayers and support for his success, stating “She’s a great mum. She’s the reason I’m successful. Her prayers, She’s proud of me.”

Credit: citinewsroom.com

Sister Afia says Efia Odo can never bully her, calls her disrespectful

0
Sista Afia and Efia Odo

Ghanaian singer Sister Afia has stated that Efia Odo, a Ghanaian socialite, can never bully her. Sister Afia and Efia Odo recently got into an argument on Twitter that started when a netizen mistakenly identified the female singer as Efia Odo.

Appearing as a guest on UTV’s United Showbiz, Sister Afia mentioned that the netizen’s comment was harmless and she expected the socialite to ignore it.

However, Efia Odo responded, prompting Sister Afia to defend herself.

She added that Efia Odo is a bully and she would be the last person to try that on.

“When she did that, I felt like I had to defend myself because this girl keeps doing that. I know bullies, and one thing I know for sure is that Efia Odo can never bully me. I am the last person she can ever think of doing that to. If we are all going to be honest, this person has come at a lot of people. You can tell naturally that the person is disrespectful,” she told the host, MzGee.

Sister Afia also addressed the fact that Efia Odo is known for launching attacks and coming at people in the industry, describing her as disrespectful.

“Many times, this person has bullied me, but most people do not understand what I’m talking about. All my life, I have been bullied because I was the darkest person in my class, so I used to get bullied a lot. So I know bullies and I know how they start their stuff,” Sister Afia said.

A few years ago, actress Efia Odo and musician Sista Afia engaged in a fierce battle that almost became physical.

Credit: pulse.com.gh

Ofori Amponsah never wanted Appietus to produce his songs –Fredyma

0

Legendary Ghanaian sound engineer, Fred Kyei Mensah has shared an intriguing story about how Highlife legend Ofori Amponsah did not want his songs to be engineered by iconic producer Appietus.

Known in real life as Appiah Dankwah, Appietus who has produced over 200 hit songs including Ofori-Amponsah’s ‘Otoolege’’ learned his sound engineering trade under Fredyma.

Speaking as a special guest on Channel One TV, Fredyma while mentioning names of the music producers he has trained revealed how the ‘’Otoolege’’ crooner, didn’t want Appietus to engineer his songs when the latter was still an apprentice under him.

According to Fredyma, despite Ofori Amponsah’s reluctance, Appietus eventually played a crucial role in making him a household name by producing several hits for him.

“I’ve seen his level, what he can do. Yeah. So I asked Ofori if he should let Appiah produce a song. He said No! , Appiah is an apprentice, and he doesn’t like it. But in life, later, who gave Ofori Amponsah the hits? Appietus did.” Fredyma told Ekow Koomson

The legendary sound engineer took the opportunity to commend Appietus for his impressive growth and outstanding work in the music industry over the years.

Credit: citinewsroom.com

Residents stage rare protest over power cuts in Russia’s Krasnodar

0
Krasnodar Governor Veniamin Kondratyev

Residents in the southern Russian city of Krasnodar staged a rare protest on Saturday over electricity cuts and water supply interruptions due to a power grid failure amid record-high temperatures.

Angry residents gathered on the streets near residential buildings shouting “Give me light,” after experiencing power cuts for several days, videos posted on social media show.

Work to repair the accident is underway and residents are being supplied with drinking water, the city’s mayor Evgeny Naumov said Saturday. “We all need to remain calm and understand what is happening, although this is not easy,” he said in a Telegram post.

The power cuts came as the city is experiencing unusually high temperatures and on Friday a daily record was set for the fourth day in a row, according to Russian state news agency TASS. The maximum temperature was 39 degrees Celsius on Friday, according to TASS.

Krasnodar Governor Veniamin Kondratyev said Saturday that the “abnormal heat,” the lack of proper capacities during peak load periods and the operation of the Rostov Nuclear Power Plant were some of the factors that contributed to the outages. One of the units of the Rostov plant, the largest in the region, was temporarily shut down earlier this week due to a technical malfunction.

Credit: cnn.com

The Ghanaian Chronicle