GIS officer rescues police from jaws of death

AICOII Nurudeen Abul-Ganiew Takra, an Immigration Officer stationed in the Western North Region, on Saturday May 13, 2023, rescued two uniformed police officers who were under attack from an unknown young man at the Anglican Church Park at Sefwi Wiawso.

The attacker

A statement issued by the Ghana Immigration Service (GIS) yesterday, said but for the Immigration Officer’s intervention, the police officers would have been killed.

The following is the full statement.

AICO II Nurudeen reported to the office that he was returning home from town when noticed some commotion around the Anglican Church Park near the Wiawso District Police Stations. He became curious and approached the scene and saw a police officer in the rank of Inspector lying unconscious on the ground and a corporal under attack with AK 47 rifle on the ground.

Before he could get closer the attacker clubbed the corporal on the head and he also fell unconscious. With both officers on the ground and onlookers scared to get closer, the attacker was embolden to attempt to pick the rifle to cause more havoc but Nurudeen was quicker to pick the AK 47

The Police Officers

The attacker advanced violently towards Nurudeen with a pestle. Sensing danger, he fired a warning shot but the attacker did not retreat and kept advancing and actually attempted to hit him with the pestle.  With extreme caution, because the crowd was building up, he shot the attacker’s right thigh to immobilize him.

The noise and commotion attracted a number of people including Police Officers to the scene who assisted to arrest the attacker. The items retrieved from him include a sharp knife, locally made catapult, and a pestle which he used to attack his victims

It was later gathered, that the two Police officers whose names are not yet known were detailed to respond to a distress call from worshippers from the Anglican Church. It was reported that an unknown person entered the church and   attacked the worshippers inflicting knife wounds to two members so the case was reported to the Police for assistance.

The attacker

It is not clear how the attacker was approached, but he first hit the inspector on the head followed by the corporal who was also hit on the head with the same pestle.  Both fell unconscious and helpless on the ground.  Meanwhile, bystanders were also afraid to intervene but for the bravery of Nurudeen the situation could have been worse.

The two Police Officers and the attacker have since been taken to the Wiawso Municipal hospital for medical attention.

A formal report has been made and the AK 47 rifle handed over to the Wiawso District Police for further action. You will be apprised with any new developments on the matter.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here