Two alleged members of a robbery gang have been remanded into custody by the Circuit Court in Accra, for their purported involvement in a series of armed robbery incidents at Ofankor in the Greater Accra Region.
The presiding judge, Her Honour Basilia Adjei-Tawiah, ordered the remand of Akwasi Owusu, also known as Kooko, and Atitso Kojo Kalovi, also known as Kalo, when the case was called.
Chief Inspector Daniel Ofori-Appiah, who is leading the prosecution, informed the court that only the first and fourth accused persons were present.
The prosecution further told the court that the second, third and fifth accused persons, Kwame Bediako (alias Starboy); Ishmael Addo (alias Kofi Kitiwa) and Mumuni Abdul Razak Akakuub (alias Moghambo) were absent because they are currently standing trial before another court in Koforidua, in connection with similar offences.
Following the update, the court remanded Owusu and Kalovi into lawful custody and adjourned the case to March 2, 2026.
Charges
The accused persons are facing multiple charges, including conspiracy to commit robbery and robbery, contrary to the Criminal Offences Act, 1960 (Act 29).
According to the charge sheet, Owusu, Bediako, Addo and Kalovi allegedly conspired on January 19, 2025 at Ofankor to commit robbery. They are further accused of robbing three individuals during the incident.
The prosecution alleged that the accused persons robbed Kenneth Otabil of an iPhone X, a Nokia keypad phone and cash amounting to GH¢2,400.
They are also said to have robbed Danso Nina of GH¢6,000 as well as Samuel Okyere of a Samsung Galaxy A23, valued at GH¢3,500.
In addition, Mumuni Abdul Razak Akakuub, has been charged with abetment of robbery. He is alleged to have aided the other accused persons in committing the crime.
Prosecution’s Facts
Presenting the brief facts, Chief Inspector Ofori-Appiah told the court that the complainants include Kenneth Otabil, a fuel attendant; Danso Nina, a Pharmacy attendant and Samuel Okyere, a Medical Laboratory Scientist.
The prosecution alleges that all five accused persons are members of a robbery gang reportedly led by Kwame Bediako.
On January 19, 2025 the court heard that Bediako allegedly contacted Owusu, Addo and Kalovi by phone, after which they agreed to meet at Pokuase to carry out what the prosecution described as their “usual robbery expedition.”
The accused persons allegedly boarded an unregistered black Toyota Camry with a DV plate number and drove to the Ofankor Total Filling Station at about 9:02 p.m.
Once there, three of the accused persons reportedly alighted from the vehicle and attacked Otabil and his colleagues, while another remained in the car as a lookout.
The court was told that Addo, who was allegedly armed with a pump-action gun, pointed the weapon at the victims, while Owusu tied up the fuel attendants.
The prosecution said the gang made away with cash, mobile phones and other valuables before proceeding to a nearby pharmacy shop, where two additional complainants were robbed.
Police investigations later led to the arrest of Owusu on February 6, 2026, in connection with another robbery case. During interrogation, he allegedly confessed and mentioned his co-accused as accomplices.
Investigators further claim that the pump-action gun used in the robbery was unregistered and had been supplied by the fifth accused person, Mumuni Abdul Razak Akakuub.
The prosecution indicated that investigations are ongoing.
For more news, join The Chronicle Newspaper channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029VbBSs55E50UqNPvSOm2z








