Myanmar soldiers ‘in Hague after confessing to killing Rohingya’
Two Myanmar soldiers have been taken to The Hague after confessing to murdering Rohingya minority during a 2017 crackdown, two news organisations and a rights group have reported.
The two men admitted to killing dozens of villagers in northern Rakhine state and burying them in mass graves, according to the New York Times, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation and the non-profit Fortify Rights, citing statements the men made on videos filmed in Myanmar this year.
Reuters news agency on Tuesday said it has not seen the videos cited by the news organisations.
The New York Times said it could not independently confirm that the two soldiers committed the crimes to which they confessed.
Myanmar government and military spokesmen did not answer calls seeking comment.
US law firm says Myanmar committed genocide against Rohingya
The reports said the men had been in the custody of the Arakan Army group, which is now fighting Myanmar government troops in Rakhine state, when they made the admissions and were later taken to The Hague in the Netherlands, where they could appear as witnesses or face trial.