High Court ‘Rescues’ Bempah From Police Dungeon

September 16, 2021 By 0 Comments

The God of the General Overseer of the Glorious Word Power Ministry International, Rev. Isaac Owusu Bempah, has worked through an Accra High Court to deliver him from the police dungeon, where he was being detained.

The High Court yesterday set aside a ruling by a Circuit that refused the man of God and three others bail, after they were remanded into police custody for a week.

The decision of the High Court followed an appeal filed by the lawyer for Rev. Owusu Bempah, Gary Nimako Marfo, against the position of the Accra Circuit Court.

Prior to the granting of the appeal, the pastor had received public sympathy as several people, including other renowned men of God, advocated for his release.

The advocacy came at a time when the pastor had been rushed to the police hospital, after he complained of not feeling well.

Reports indicated that the pastor remained in handcuffs, while the health personnel administered medications and drip on him.

The court granted him GHC200,000 bail with two sureties, after his lawyer pleaded with the High Court, citing ill-health.

Several hours after the court upheld the plea, the Aide to the man of God indicated his boss had not been released yet, as they were going through the required process.

This revelation came about two hours before 05:00GMT, the prescribed closing time for public institutions in the country.

His hope was to be able to complete the process before the court closes, to save his boss from spending another night in cells.

However, at the time of filing this report yesterday evening, we could not confirm the whereabouts of Rev. Owusu Bempah.

How Owusu Bempah and others were remanded

The Circuit Court, presided over by Mrs. Afia Owusua Appiah, in remanding the accused persons into lawful custody, said the decision was to allow the police ample time to conduct investigation into the case and that the accused persons should reappear before it on September 20, 2021.

The court held that the police had arrested the accused persons the previous day and that it is necessary that the “Man of God” and other accused persons be kept in police custody to afford the law enforcement agency more time to do their work.

The brief facts presented before the court by the prosecuting officer, Chief Inspector Simon Terkpetey, indicated that the “Man of God”, together with about 40 ‘macho men’ stormed the complainant, now Evangelist Mama Patricia’s house and threatened to beat and kill her.

The prosecutor continued that Patricia called the police to lodge a complaint, after which Rev. Owusu Bempah was invited to the police station, but he declined to honour the invitation.

The police then proceeded to A1 (first accused) church premises to effect his arrest, but some of the church members responded by attacking the peace officers.