35 dead, 29 of them burnt in horrific accident

March 16, 2020 By 0 Comments

From Francis Owusu-Ansah, Sunyani

An early morning fatal accident on the Kintampo-Tamale highway in the Bono East Region has resulted in the death of 35 passengers, with 27 of them burnt beyond recognition.

The victims, who cannot be identified, include women and children. One person, however, survived the gory accident, with six others in critical condition and receiving treatment at hospital.

Reliable sources close to the scene of the accident told The Chronicle that a Yutong bus collided with a mini Sprinter bus with registration number AS 1801-18, causing both vehicles to burst into flames.

Local reports suggest the driver of the Yutong bus might have lost control and veered off his lane while trying to overtake another vehicle, but ended up running into the Sprinter bus. At the time of filing this report, personnel from the fire and police service were still at the scene to salvage the situation.

In September 2019, there was another tragic accident on the Techiman-Kintampo Highway. The accident claimed eight lives and left others with terrible injuries. This happened when a truck and taxi collided on the highway.

The driver of a Mercedes Benz truck, with the registration number AS 9554 G, was said to have lost control and the truck was at the verge of falling on the opposite side.

The innocent taxi driver and his four passengers were said to have crashed into the falling truck, resulting in the deaths. The taxi was said to be driven by one Kwame Mensah, 26, with registration number BA 1356 P.

Narrating how the accident occurred at the time, ASP Andrews Okonengye, Bono East Motor Transport Traffic Department (MTTD) Regional Commander said: “When he got to Tuobodom, the driver lost control of the vehicle and was just on the verge of falling, when a taxi cab coming from the opposite direction, driven by Kwame Mensah, 26, with four other people on board, crashed into it.

“The impact was so great such that the cargo truck turned around to face the opposite direction,” he added.

Six persons reportedly died at the scene, whilst two others died later at hospital after being taken there by officers of the Ghana National Fire Service.

The deceased persons were two females and six males. Seven bodies were identified by the police, with the exception of one.

Earlier in March 2019, an official report from the Jema Government Hospital confirmed that 67 people perished in a gory accident which occurred on the Techiman-Kintampo highway.

The accident happened at “Watchman”, a farming settlement along the highway, between Tuobodom in the Techiman North District and Jema.

The accident occurred around 0100 hours when two buses, a Grandbird, with registration number GT 5694-18 traveling from Garu to Kumasi, and a VIP bus with registration number GT 3916-17, which was travelling from Accra to Bolgatanga, collided head-on.

Two of the survivors who sustained various degrees of injuries died on arrival at the hospital, whilst 35 were burnt beyond recognition, when one of the buses involved in the accident caught fire due to the impact of the crash.

Dr. Prince Kwabena Tabiri, Medical Officer in charge of the hospital, told The Chronicle at Jema in the Kintampo South District in the Bono East Region that the charred bodies of the 35 passengers who perished in the gory accident in Kintampo were given a mass burial.

The solemn ceremony took place at the Jema Cemetery after all the necessary paper works were done.  The decision for the mass burial was taken after a stakeholder meeting between the District Chief executive (DCE) for Kintampo South, Alexander Gyan, and his counterpart from Garu-Tempane, Emmanuel Asore Avoka.

The bodies of 20 others who also perished in the accident were given to their families after the necessary identifications were done. The Chronicle picked up information at the time that the chiefs and people resolved to perform some rituals at the accident scene.