Fire destroys timber market, 13-bedroom house in Sunyani
Properties at the Sunyani Timber Market and a 13- room house running into thousands of Ghana Cedis have been burnt in two separate fire outbreaks in Sunyani, the Bono Regional capital.
The Timber Market fire occurred at dawn on Saturday, and gutted about 24 shops located in the area, while the 13-bedroom house was gutted 24 hours earlier. No casualties were recorded in both incidents.
“The fire has caused extensive damage to quantities of packed lumber, finished products, plastic materials, and several industrial machines and equipment,” an eyewitness said, and added that the fire started around 4am and spread very quickly before personnel of the Ghana National Fire Service arrived at the scene.
Affected shop owners attributed the cause to power fluctuation.
Mr Kwame Asante said: “The fire outbreak can be attributed to the intermittent power outages that occurred in the area. In fact, we don’t know what is happening from the VRA.”
The Municipal Fire Commander, DO3 Agyemang Duah, said the command was yet to ascertain the cause of the fire at the time of filing this report. At Asufufu, a 13-bedroom building was burnt into ashes.
Speaking to the media, the Bono Regional Public Relations Officer of the Ghana National Fire Service, Kwame Adomako, said the command was yet to ascertain the cause of the fire, but added it could have been prevented if the Fire Service had been called on time.
He disputed claims by some residents that the fire fighters did not arrive at the scene on time, and rather blamed occupants of the house for failing to call the service, as they concentrated on packing out their belongings.
Assistant Station Officer Adomako, however, gave assurance that his outfit was working to know the cause of the outbreak, and called on all to be cautious when dealing with fire.
Meanwhile, the Bono Regional Operation Manager of the Ghana National Fire Service, Divisional Officer Grade Three (DOIII) Ignatius Noekor, told the media that all the fire hydrants at the regional command had broken down.
According to him, the command relied on the only fire hydrant at the Abesim Fire Station, and advised traders, shop owners, and households to ensure they switch off electrical gadgets before they leave their shops and homes.