Sports

Barcelona board to sack coach after dressing room fall-out

June 30, 2020 By 0 Comments

 

Barcelona are prepared to axe boss Quique Setien at the end of the season unless the club experiences a dramatic change in fortune, according to reports.

The 61-year-old was hired in January after the dismissal of Ernesto Valverde, but has struggled to retain control of a dressing room packed with superstar names. The board are also said to have been left unimpressed by recent performances.

Setien will lose his job this summer should Barcelona fail to retain their LaLiga crown or even win the Champions League over the coming months.

Setien had been handed a two-and-a-half-year contract earlier this year, but had not topped the list of candidates Barcelona had drawn up in their chase for Valverde’s successor.

The former Real Betis coach appears to have now lost the confidence of his playing squad – with stars at the club wielding a notable amount of influence.

It is even thought that players have now turned against Setien and have been left confused by his tactics. His recent comments in the media also irked key figures.

The veteran tactician is said to be ‘too hands-on’ during sessions, and his assistant, Eder Sarabia, is also deeply unpopular.

This was perhaps proven in shocking footage that emerged from Barcelona’s 2-2 draw against Celta Vigo on Saturday, which showed Lionel Messi openly ignoring instructions from Sarabia.

A heated dressing room bust-up reportedly followed after the game, and Real Madrid now lead the race for the LaLiga title by two points with just six games remaining.

Credit: dailymail.co.uk



0 Comments on "Barcelona board to sack coach after dressing room fall-out"


Would you like to share your thoughts?

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Leave a Reply

error: Content is protected !!
%d bloggers like this: