Type to search

Ahmed Suale’s murder delays prosecution of Nyantakyi -AG

Lead Story news Other Stories

Ahmed Suale’s murder delays prosecution of Nyantakyi -AG

botchway November 8, 2019


By Maxwell Ofori

The Attorney General (AG), Ms Gloria Akuffo, has indicated that the death of Ahmed Suale, a member of Tiger Eye PI, an investigative firm, has halted the preparation of a case against former Ghana Football Association (GFA) President Kwasi Nyantakyi.

Kwasi Nyantakyi was accused of engaging in corrupt practices contrary to the ethics of his former office, a charge which followed undercover work by Tiger Eye PI that unearthed corruption in Ghana and, by extension, African football.

The investigator filed a complaint against the accused after a public premier of the documentary, which shook the foundations of Ghana football. On the floor of Parliament yesterday, the Attorney General was summoned to answer questions on the status of the case filed, asked by Mr Mohammed Abdul-Aziz, Member of Parliament (MP) for Mion.

In her answer, the Attorney General indicated that her outfit received a duplicate letter from the Criminal Investigative Department of the Ghana Police Service on the issue, and after an initial probe, the police were asked to furnish the Attorney General with further documents.

She added that the investigator, Tiger Eye, was also requested to furnish the AG with an updated report.  Both requests were submitted by the police to the AG in May this year.

“Unfortunately, Ahmed Suale, a member of Tiger Eye, and a principal witness, with whom the prosecutors directly engaged in the preparation of the case, was tragically killed on 16th May, 2019. The death of the journalist unavoidably stalled the preparation of the case. The review of the docket has since been completed, and the presentation of the case in court is eminent,” she stated.

Responding to a follow up question on why the AG was taking so much a time on the case, the Minister said that the prosecutors had to go through heaps of documents on the matter.

“Mr Speaker, perhaps there is a misconception about how this case has been handled. Unlike most cases which may come in documents, we had to review many recordings against transcripts. So, my answer shows an initial review. We have had to spend not hours, not days, weeks to view the original recordings that were submitted to the office, not the edited version that was shown to the public against the transcripts that had to be look at. So, yes, it may have been one year, but there has been no tardiness about it, and it is no reflection of the lack of my office to handle the matter in a committed manner.”

The MP for Mion further asked, based on the Minister’s answer, that the death stalled the case, whether upon investigations a link had been established between the case and the matter.

In her swift response, the Minister reiterated that she had earlier indicated the deceased was a principal witness, “definitely it should affect the prosecution of the matter.”




Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons