By John Bediako
Contrary to Principle 5 of the Public Services Commission Act that prohibits staff from taking part in political activities, two senior officers of the Customs Division of the Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA) have finally filed to contest in the forthcoming New Patriotic Party (NPP) parliamentary primary in the Aowin Constituency of the Western North Region.
The said Principle 5 reads – A staff of the Public Services Commission shall:
- a) maintain political neutrality in the performance of his or her duties.
- b) not in the performance of his or her official duties, act as an agent or further the interest of a political party: and
- c) not engage in political activity that may compromise or be seen to compromise the political neutrality of his or her office.
The senior officers, Assistant Commissioner of Customs in charge of the Elubo Collection Point, Mr Edward Osei, Principal Collector at the Kotoka International Airport (KIA), Mr Robert Coffie-Amoako, and Mr Abanga Yakubu Fuseini, a party member, have by the close of submission of forms filed to contest the primary of the ruling party.
The following are sixteen others who have also filed in the six constituencies of the newly-created Western North Region.
- Dr. Alex Ampabeng, Tax Expert and a member in the UK
- Mr. Francis Kwaku Afanyo, Constituency Secretary
- Hon. Martha Kwayie Manu, DCE and 2016 candidate
- Mr. Solomon Donkor, party financier and the second time of picking nomination forms
- Mr. Simon Danso, party member and the second time of picking nomination forms
- Mr. Frederick Addy, Constituency Treasurer
- Christian Baah, DCE and 2016 candidate
- Mr. Edward Osei, Assistant Commissioner of CEPS in charge of Elubo Station and the third time of picking nomination forms
- Mr. Robert Coffie Amoako, Principal CEPS Officer at the Kotoka International Airport
- Mr. Abanga Yakubu Fuseini, party member
Bia West Constituency
- Mr. Bernard Blay, Constituency 1st Vice Chairman
- Lawyer Anthony Marshall Appoh, Legal Practitioner; 2004 and 2008 candidate
- Mr. Kennedy Amoah Mensah, Constituency Secretary
- Ignatius Kwasi Amankwaa, DCE
Bia East Constituency
- Mr. Evans Amoah – Constituency Communication Officer
- Mr. Nicholas Nneber – District Manager, Cocoa Merchants