Fire guts ECG sub-station
SOME PARTS of the Ashanti Region went totally dark on Friday when an explosion occurred at one of the sub-stations of the Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG).
The EG sub-station ‘A’ at its bulk supply point at Ridge, where transmitted power from the Ghana Grid Company is stored, caught fire, causing damage to the 11KV panel at the intake station.
The incident occurred around 9am on Friday, causing immediate interruption of power to several parts of the Metropolis.
According to the Ashanti West Regional Engineer, Mr. Kwabena Adomah, the cause of the explosion could not be immediately detected, but technicians at the company managed to repair some parts of the damaged station during the night, and were able to restore power to some parts of the city.
Mr. Adomah noted that the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH) fell under the areas which should have been affected by the explosion, but contingencies were made to supply the facility so that patients receiving medical care could be attended to.
As at Saturday morning, when The Chronicle visited the office of the ECG to find out the latest development, the company had been able to restore power to most parts of the affected communities with the exception of the Lumber and Logs Limited (LLL) at Asokwa, where the company said would require additional works before power could be supplied to them.
Eighty percent of damaged works had also been completed as at Saturday morning.
Short URL: http://thechronicle.com.gh/?p=47215