Driver jailed 30yrs for robbery

By Helena Selby

Mrs. Betty Mould Iddrisu, Minister for Justice & Attorney General

An Accra circuit court has sentenced a driver to thirty years in prison for inflicting cutlass wounds on a neighbour, and robbing her.

In its ruling, the court, presided over by Mr. Eric Kyei Baffour, concluded that the prosecution had showed adequate evidence for the conviction of the accused person, Abdul Razak.

The Chief State Attorney, Ms. Penelope Mamattah, told the court that on February 15, 2009. at about 2:05 a.m., the complainant was awoken by a loud bang on her door, and before she could get up from bed, the accused person had broken into the room, and attacked her with a cutlass.
According to her, the accused person inflicted a cutlass wound on her left arm, and robbed her of her Kasapa mobile phone valued at GH¢30, and a cash sum of GH¢40.

She said the accused person was arrested on March 20, 2009, but denied the offence in his caution statement. “He was charged with the offence after police investigation,” the prosecutor stated.

Meanwhile, a taxi driver and two others are standing trial before the court for allegedly conspiring to commit robbery.

The accused persons, Kwame Seth, Jacob Ahuguzio, a car washer, and Alhaji, now at large, are alleged to have attacked the complainant, who is a nurse, on his way from a wake-keeping.

The first and second accused persons pleaded not guilty to the charges of conspiracy and robbery, and have been remanded into custody by the court, to re-appear on November 12, 2010.

The prosecutor, ASP Reynolds Agyemang, briefing the court, said on August 6, 2010, the complainant attended a wake-keeping at Russia, a suburb of Accra.

On August 7, 2010 at 2:00 a.m., the complainant left the wake-keeping grounds and was going home, when at about 700 metres away from the wake grounds, the first accused person, who was in charge of a Toyota Corolla taxi with registration number GR. 3085 F, together with the second accused person and Alhaji, came out from the taxi cab holding knives.

“The complainant saw them, and became frightened, and took to his heels. The first accused person also alighted from the taxi, and joined the second accused person and Alhaji to chase the complainant,” the prosecutor told the court.

The complainant ran for his life and attempted to scale over a wall for safety, but in the process, one of the accused persons pulled his leg, making him to fall down.

The accused persons attacked him, and ordered him to surrender everything on him, or they would stab him, the prosecution told the court.

The prosecutor said in the process, the accused persons robbed the complainant of his Nokia mobile phone and an amount of GH¢85, after which the accused persons boarded the taxi and sped off.

According to him, fortunately, the complainant took the car number of the vehicle and informed the police, who mounted a search for them, and succeeded in locating the taxi owner, who called in the driver, who was arrested as a result.

ASP Agyemang pointed out that in the caution statement of the first accused person, he admitted the offence, and mentioned the second accused person and Alhaji, now at large, as his accomplices.

According to the prosecutor, during the early part of October, 2010, the second accused person was arrested and handed over to the police. However, he denied the offence in his caution statement.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *