Beckham’s situation remains uncertain

Carlo Ancelotti - Chelsea manager

David Beckham reported at  Tottenham’s training ground for the first time yesterday  but whether theformer England captain will play for the club this season is still shrouded in mystery.

Tottenham announced last night that the 35-year-old would visit the training ground in Chigwell, Essex, today to undergo medical tests after a bizarre day of claim and counter-claim at White Hart Lane.

The proposed eight-week loan that Tottenham and the Los Angeles Galaxy had been discussing for over a week appeared to be dead yesterday morning when Harry Redknapp said prior to his side’s FA Cup third-round win over Charlton that the deal looked to be a “no-goer”.

The north London outfit then published a statement on their website announcing that Beckham would be joining the club – but only to train until February 10 in a bid to keep fit during the MLS close season.

The Spurs boss appeared to go back on his previous comments after the 3-0 win by saying that Beckham’s move could still be resurrected.
“I don’t honestly know if it will happen,” Redknapp said.

“That’s being done above my head. Hopefully it could still happen. The situation is ongoing.”

Contrary to reports, Press Association Sport understands that the impasse in negotiations is not over an insurance fee the Americans are demanding if their prize asset gets injured, like he did while on loan at AC Milan last year.

The main sticking point in the deal is Spurs’ unwillingness to meet the percentage of the player’s wages demanded by the MLS side.

The north London club also want to take the player on loan for longer than the four-week period he will train with Spurs but the Galaxy insist Beckham must be back in America well before their first fixture of the season against Seattle Sounders on March 15. SL

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *