Barton-Odro: I’ve been vilified by people who do not know law
Chronicle News Desk Report
Embattled Deputy Attorney-General, Mr. Ebo Barton Odro, has finally broken his silence, one year after what he claimed to have told a radio station on the infamous GH¢ 51 million dole-out to National Democratic Congress financier Alfred Agbesi Woyome.
On Joy FM, Mr. Barton-Odro was heard by listeners saying that the “state has no case” against Woyome, and that a court action by the state to recover the loot was a waste of state resources.
At the weekend, the Deputy Attorney-General, fighting for his political life after being lampooned across the length and breath of the country for failing to protect the public purse and stoking the political fire with his “State Has No Case” submission in the Woyome scandal, held a press conference at Cape Coast and claimed that as Deputy Attorney-General, he was not invited to the settlement table by his boss, before the state loot was handed over to Woyome.
“I have been vilified and insulted by people who do not understand the law, and I have kept my quiet, whether because of the Cape Coast seat, I don’t even understand,” he said.
According to an Accra Radio report, Mr. Barton-Odro told the media that when his reference to the ‘State Has No Case’ was made, he was referring to a suit filed by Mr. Alfred Woyome against the state, and not the state’s suit against Woyome to attempt to recover the loot.
He advised his critics to read the Economic and Organised Crime Office (EOCO) report on the internet and check whether his name appeared on the report, adding that he had sued the Editor of a private newspaper, and a radio station, for publishing that he had built a mansion with the Woyome case.
Later, Mr. Barton-Odro launched his campaign for the newly-created Cape Coast North seat for the ruling National Democratic Congress (NDC) in the December 7 general elections.
Speaking at the launch at Abura on Saturday, Mr. Barton-Odro said although the opposition New Patriotic Party (NPP) had not elected their candidate, whoever the party would present would taste defeat in December.
According to him, his performance as Member of Parliament (MP) for Cape Coast, coupled with that of the NDC within the period, was enough to secure him the Cape Coast North seat, and urged his supporters to work very hard to win the seat for the first time.
The Deputy Minister said since he assumed office as MP for Cape Coast, 33 classroom blocks for the basic level hd been constructed, while five clinics have been established, with the Aged Clinic, solely meant for the aged in the metropolis, becoming a model for West African countries which are establishing similar clinics in their respective countries. He said plans were far advanced to expand the Aged Clinic, by establishing one at the Adisadel Clinic, to reduce pressure on the one at the ministries.
He went on to mention a lot of projects that had been undertaken since 2009, which included roads, electricity, clinics, community centers, fishing sheds, science resource centre for JHS pupils, and 23 places of convenience among others.
The NDC Chairman for Cape Coast North, Elvis Amoasah, promised to deliver the seat for the NDC, claiming that the good works of the party, since 2009, served as testimony for the electorate to renew the mandate of the NDC in the December elections.
Short URL: http://thechronicle.com.gh/?p=48181