By Ivy Benson
THE 24-year-old hairdresser at the center of a mass rape allegation on a Yutong bus bound for Bolgatanga, has finally left the cells of the Nima Police Station, where she was kept for days after her family members completed the bail conditions given by a Human Rights Court.
Amina Mohammed had been in cells even after the court, last Friday, granted her bail in the sum of GH¢5,000 with a surety, which she could not fulfill by the close of that day.
Yesterday, family members of the now famous, Amina Mohammed, appeared at the registry of the court to sign all the necessary documents in guarantee for the accused person, who is standing trial on two counts of causing panic and fear, as well as deceit of a public officer, at an Accra Circuit Court.
She had pleaded not guilty to the charges, and she is expected to appear in court today, November 9, 2010.
According to the State Attorney, on October 26, 2010, on Adom FM, a private radio station in Tema in the Greater Accra Region, Amina Mohammed was on the airwaves, where she said she was travelling with her mother and three children on a Yutong bus, with registration number GN 263-10 to the North.
The prosecution told the court that the accused person, who resides in Tema in the Greater Accra Region, indicated on the airwaves that the bus was attacked by armed robbers on the highway, during which the robbers forced the men on the bus to rape the female passengers.
She further alleged that a father was forced to rape his 14-year-old daughter, adding that the passengers were robbed off their belongings, and most of the females on board, were raped by the male travelers, upon orders from the robbers.
The prosecution had further asserted that following the narration Amina gave on the airwaves, several radio stations picked up the issue, which led to causing extensive fear and panic among the people.
However, the prosecution additionally told the court that on Oct 12, 2010, the driver of the Yutong bus lodged a complaint at the Ejisu police station, that his bus containing 47 passengers was attacked by armed robbers at Kubease, but denied any mass rape of the female passengers.
The prosecution noted that it was the statement of the driver that en route to Bolgatanga, he encountered a scenario, where armed robbers had blocked the road with logs, but managed to drive through and escape their shooting attack, which resulted in damage to the windscreen of the vehicle.
The driver was noted to have gone to the Ejisu police station to report the incident and left for their final destination after 30 minutes, and had since arrived safely, the court was informed.