AMA, NADMO educate traders on fire prevention

By Bernice Bessey

Dr. Alfred Vanderpuije, Chief Executive AMA

The Accra Metropolitan Assembly (AMA), in collaboration with the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO), has organised fire training for traders in the various markets in the metropolis.

The need for the training, according to the Accra Metropolis NADMO Co-coordinator, Mr. Isaac Mensah, was to find out the main causes of the recent fire outbreaks, and the necessary preventive measures to be put in place.

He said it was the expectation of the AMA and the government that the frequent fire outbreaks, especially, in the major markets in the country, would be put to an end, and for that reason the market folks needed to know the safety and prevention measures for fires.

Mr. Mensah was addressing Kaneshie market traders on fire prevention measures over the weekend in Accra.

According to Mr. Mensah, the recent fire outbreaks were setting the development of the nation backwards, and added that funds that meant for other projects were being invested in reconstructing burnt structures, instead of building new ones.

He stated that many livelihoods were lost to the damage of fire outbreaks, since the market was their main source of income for traders, while others had run into debt because they took loans from the banks to finance or bolster their trading activities.

And, said all these could be a thing of the past if the traders took a keen interest in putting off all fires and electrical gargets before leaving the market, since they are some of the main agents of fire outbreaks.

He attributed the frequent fire outbreaks to poor electrical wring systems at the markets, and outmoded electronic appliances used by the traders.

The Coordinator noted that most of the markets do not have good house-keeping systems and that everyone does what they want without recourse to procedure, and charged the traders to be each other’s keepers.

The fire personnel present at the training, DGO Christina Achiaa Sarkodie, charged the traders to be conscious during the festive season, since most people ignored things that had the potential to generate fires.

The traders were taught effective ways of putting out fires, and the use of fire distinguishers, how to detect leaking gas cylinders, effects of faulty electronic gadgets, and other agents of fire.

She however, urged the market folks to inculcate the habit of making sure that all electrical gadgets are off before leaving the market premises, and charged them to communicate the message to their colleagues.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *