‘Amina’ Mark Two in custody

By Helena Selby

Amina Mohammed

A trader, who claimed he was on board the Yutong Bus involved in the now popular Amina Mohammed rape and robbery case when the incident took place, has been placed in custody by an Accra Circuit Court.

The accused, Michael Ofosu-Frimpong, had alleged that on October 11, 2010, armed robbers attacked a Yutong bus with registration number. GN 263-10 at Kubease in the Ejusu Municipality of the Ashanti Region, and compelled the males on the bus to rape the female passengers.

Virtually mimicking the earlier allegation by Amina, the accused said a father was also allegedly compelled at gunpoint to rape his daughter with whom he was travelling. The accused person also alleged that he was forced to rape a 40 year old woman.

Ofosu-Frimpong was charged with a deceiving public officer before the court, presided over by Mr. Eric Kyei Baffour. His plea was not taken, and is expected to re-appear before the same court on Wednesday, December 1, 2010.

The accused person had no counsel, and pleaded with the court to put him on remand, with the explanation that he could be harmed if he was released, considering the media attention surrounding the case.

State Attorney Paul A. Abariga told the court that on the morning of November 18, 2010, the accused person, who is a resident of Tafo Mile Four in Kumasi, went to Great FM station at Achimota in Accra, requesting for airtime to talk about an alleged robbery and mass rape incident which occurred around Ejisu on October 11, 2010, involving one Amina Mohammed.

The FM station refused to grant him airtime, and rather called in the police, who picked him up for interrogation at the headquarters of the Criminal Investigations Department of the Ghana Police Service.

The prosecutor said at the headquarters, the accused person told the police in his statement that he was on board the Yutong bus which was attacked and robbed by armed robbers, adding that   that his mobile phone and money on him were taken by the armed robbers.

The prosecutor told the court that the accused person also stated that he was made to sleep with a woman, whose age he estimated to be around 40 years, and that he could prove his presence in the bus by producing his ticket for that ill-fated journey. He claimed to have left the ticket at his base in Kumasi.

The state attorney said when the police requested to go to Kumasi with him for the ticket, he confessed that all what he said in his statement were lies.

The prosecutor said the accused person claimed he was asked by some people, whose names he had given to the police, as those who asked him to go on air to concoct the story to collaborate Amina Mohammed’s narration for a reward, and that he was not on board the ill-fated bus as he had previously alleged.

Click on a tab to select how you'd like to leave your comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *